- Browse by Category
Browse by School/
Introduction to Electromagnetism I
Hiroshi AMANO Professor
Department: Institute of Liberal Arts & Sciences
|Class Time:||2010 Fall Monday|
|Recommended for:||Department of Civil Engineering and Architecture, School of Engineering|
During the course Electromagnetism I, we analyze several shapes of electric field around a fixed charge, metal and dielectrics, magnetic fields around an electric charge moving in constant velocity, and the magnetic field around the magnetic dipole.
In this class, the mechanisms of electromagnetic phenomena in our lives, such as forecasting earthquakes, thunder, electric vehicles, etc., will be introduced and discussed. You may need to understand several laws of electromagnetism such as Coulomb's law, Gauss' law, Ampere's law, etc. The historical background of how each law was developed will be shown and an explanation given of how to easily understand them. The students will deepen their understanding by doing exercises related to each law taught in the class.
The objective of this class is, firstly, to understand how pioneers developed electromagnetics, and secondly to learn how to analyze electromagnetic fields based on mathematics; and thirdly to apply this knowledge to other issues related to electromagnetics.
In this class, you will learn about electric fields around a static charge in any shape, and magnetic fields around a static current.
The goal of this class is as follows:
- You will be able to understand the physical meaning of electric fields and magnetic fields.
- You will be able to understand many laws of physics and analyze static electric fields and magnetic fields by yourself.
This is a compulsory subject.
|1||History of the development of electromagnetism, Electromagnetic phenomena in our lives|
|2||Essential mathematics for understanding electromagnetism 1: Differentials and Integrals|
|3||Essential mathematics for understanding electromagnetism 2: Vector analysis|
|5||Electric field and electric flux, Gauss' law|
|6||Electrical potential, Electrostatic potential energy|
|7||Electric dipole, Electric field and electrical potential around the electric dipole|
|8||Electrical conductor, Metal, Electric shield, Earth and ground|
|10||Dielectrics, Electrostatic potential energy in capacitor|
|11||Definition of Ampere, Electric circuit and current, Kirchhoff's law|
|12||Lorentz force, Magnetism, Magnetic field and magnetic flux|
|13||Ampere's law, Bio-Savart law|
|15||Summary / Final exam|
Grading will be 80% examination exercise, and the other 20% based on two reports.
Note: All files are in Japanese.
- Session #1
- History of the development of electromagnetism, Electromagnetic phenomena in our lives (PDF, 4085KB)
- Session #2
- Essential mathematics for understanding electromagnetism 1: Differentials and Integrals (PDF, 290KB)
- Session #3
- Essential mathematics for understanding electromagnetism 2: Vector analysis (PDF, 291KB)
- Session #4
- Coulomb's law (PDF, 818KB)
- Session #5
- Electric field and electric flux, Gauss' law (PDF, 638KB)
- Session #6
- Electrical potential, Electrostatic potential energy (PDF, 432KB)
- Session #7
- Electric dipole, Electric field and electrical potential around the electric dipole (PDF, 494KB)
- Session #8
- Electrical conductor, Metal, Electric shield, Earth and ground (PDF, 424KB)
- Session #9
- Capacitor (Condenser) (PDF, 627KB)
- Session #10
- Dielectrics, Electrostatic potential energy in capacitor (PDF, 786KB)
- Session #11
- Definition of Ampere, Electric circuit and current, Kirchhoff's law (PDF, 683KB)
- Session #12
- Lorentz force, Magnetism, Magnetic field and magnetic flux (PDF, 1658KB)
- Session #13
- Ampere's law, Bio-Savart law (PDF, 477KB)
- Session #14
- Stokes' Theorem (PDF, 345KB)
Note: All files are in Japanese.
- CheckTest #1 (PDF, 139KB)
- CheckTest #2 (PDF, 125KB)
Page last updated October 28, 2014
The class contents were most recently updated on the date indicated. Please be aware that there may be some changes between the most recent year and the current page.